McGuigan Cemetery, Merrickville/Wolford Township, Leeds & Grenville County, Ontario, Canada
This cemetery is one of the oldest burying grounds not only along the Rideau River but in Eastern Ontario. It was used for approximately one hundred years between 1800 and 1900. Unfortunately, there are few written records anywhere either as to its existence or as to who was buried within its confines. The tombstones discovered during its restoration in 1979 and 1980 by the Merrickville and District Historical Society tell only a small part of the role it played in the history of the area.
It was named after Miles McGuigan, an Irishman who served in the Peninsular War under Wellington in the 81st Regiment and who was later wounded at Waterloo. As an army pensioner after the War of 1812 he married the widow Leahy, who owned the land, a Crown Grant, on which the cemetery is located. Legend has it that he was buried here but his grave has never been found. The oldest known grave is that of Samuel McRae, one of the earliest pioneers of the Lower Rideau Settlement. ...More Information
Phoebe Chester, Frederick Weedmark's first wife is buried in this cemetery.
||Located||Michael Chester (d. 17 Mar 1880)
First wife of Frederick Weedmark. Frederick is mentioned on this stone, however his name appears to some to be Fred L Weekmark, but on closer inspection his name has been abbreviated and is actually Fredk Weedmark.
|Located||Phoebe Chester (d. 13 May 1863)
|Rachel Howey Chester
||Located||Rachel Howey Lane (d. 22 May 1874)